- March 24, 2021
- Posted by: Sonali
- Category: Uncategorized
This field combines together biology, computer science, and information technology. Professionals in this field work on developing and using tools and techniques for analysing biological data. For example, a bioinformatics professional might develop a software for accessing and analysing data from biomedical and pharmaceutical studies.
You may wonder that there should be someone with whom you can relate or say actually get knowledge about a career in this field. Consider Dr. GPS Raghava. Dr. Raghava’s group has developed a large number of open source software which is freely available for scientific use. His group has developed more than 200 web servers and 30 databases in the field of computer-aided drug/vaccine design (probably the highest number of services developed/maintained from a single group in the world). His research group has published more than 200 research papers in reputed journals with total Google Scholar citations of 10,509. So if you are interested in this kind of work, you may for sure go for Bioinformatics.
- Career Opportunities: You can work as a bioinformatics analyst or a developer with pharmaceutical and biotechnology companies, healthcare organisations, pharmaceuticals and with research agencies after graduating from this field. You can also work as a clinical research associate, bio analyst, or as a medical coder.
- Paths to Pursue a career in Bioinformatics :
|SR NO||Stream||Graduation||After Graduation||After Post Graduation|
|Path 1||Clear Class XII with Science Stream||Pursue B.Sc.(Hons) in Bioinformatics or B.Sc. (Hons) Biological Sciences or B. Sc. in Life Sciences for 3 years||Pursue M.Sc. Bioinformatics or M.Sc Bio-sciences for 2 years||Pursue Ph.D for 3-5 years.|
|Path 2||Clear Class XII with Science Stream||Pursue B.Sc.(Hons) in Bioinformatics or B.Sc. (Hons) Biological Sciences or B. Sc. in Life Sciences for 3 years||Pursue PG Diploma in Bioinformatics for 1 year.|
- IISC and IISER
- Miranda House, New Delhi
- Hansraj College, New Delhi
- Hindu College, New Delhi
- Stella Maris College, Chennai
- Bangalore University, Bangalore
- Savitribai Phule Pune University, Pune
- Jawaharlal Nehru University, New Delhi
- Institute of Bioinformatics and Applied Biotechnology (IBAB), Bangalore
- Parul University, Vadodara
- MG Science Institute, Ahmedabad
- Institute of LifeScience, Ahmedabad