- March 24, 2021
- Posted by: Sonali
- Category: Uncategorized
This field combines the principles of Physics with those of Biology. Biophysicists study organisms at the cellular and molecular level using the methods and approaches of Physics. It is an advancing field, involving state-of-the-art technology, physical measurements and computational models.
Consider Venki Ramakrishnan as an example.Ramakrishnan is internationally recognised for determination of the atomic structure of the 30S ribosomal subunit. Earlier he mapped the arrangement of proteins in the 30S subunit by neutron diffraction and solved X-ray structures of individual components and their RNA complexes. In 2009, Ramakrishnan was awarded the Nobel Prize in Chemistry along with Thomas A. Steitz and Ada Yonath.
- Career Opportunities: Jobs in this field include becoming a nuclear medical biophysicist, clinical biophysicist, forensic biophysicist, nutritional biophysicist, professor, etc. A prime career avenue is research, and you can find work as a research scientist in various government and private organisations.
- Paths to Pursue a career in Biophysics:
|SR NO||Stream||Graduation||After Graduation||After Post Graduation|
|Path 1||Clear Class XII with Science Stream||Pursue B.Sc. Biophysics or B.Sc. (Hons) Physics or B.Sc. (Hons) Biological Sciences for 3 years||Pursue M.Sc. Biophysics for 2 years||Pursue Ph.D. for 3-5 years|
|Path 2||Clear Class XII with Science Stream||Pursue B.Sc. (Hons) Biophysics or B.Sc. (Hons) Physics or B.Sc. (Hons) Biological Sciences for 3 years||Pursue PG Diploma in Biophysics/Biological Sciences for 1 year|
- St. Stephens, New Delhi
- Gargi College, New Delhi
- Hansraj College,New Delhi
- Miranda House,New Delhi
- Sri Venkateswara College, New Delhi
- Loyola College, Chennai
- Madras Christian College, Chennai
- All India Institute of Medical Sciences (AIIMS), New Delhi
- National Institute of Mental Health and Neuro Sciences (NIMHANS), Bangalore
- University of Mumbai, Mumbai