- March 24, 2021
- Posted by: Sonali
- Category: Uncategorized
Environmental science is an essential field in the current world, and involves the study of the physical, chemical and biological components of the environment and their interactions. Environmental scientists investigate environmental issues such as global warming, ozone depletion, waste management, water pollution, etc., and how these issues can be dealt with.
And to set an example for you, I must take the name of Mr Salim Ali. Salim Ali was an Indian ornithologist and naturalist; known as the “birdman of India”, Salim Ali was among the first Indians to conduct systematic bird surveys across India. He was instrumental in creating the Bharatpur Bird Sanctuary (Keoladeo National Park) and prevented the destruction of what is now the Silent Valley National Park. He was awarded India’s second highest civilian honour, the Padma Vibhushan in 1976.
- Career Opportunities: Environmental scientists are hired for research and other roles by various industries such as mines, water-treatment plants, fertiliser plants, etc. and different government departments and agencies such as forestry, pollution control board, agriculture, etc.
- Paths to Pursue a career in Environment Science:
|SR NO||Stream||Graduation||After Graduation|
|Path 1||Clear Class XII with Science Stream with Biology||Pursue B.Sc. (Hons) Environmental Science or B.Sc. (Hons) Biological Sciences or B.Sc. Life Science for 3 years||Pursue M.Sc. Environmental Science for 2 years|
|Path 2||Clear Class XII with Science Stream with Biology||Pursue B.Sc. (Hons) Environmental Science or B.Sc. (Hons) Biological Sciences or B.Sc. Life Science for 3 years||Pursue PG Diploma in Environmental Science for 1-2 years|
- IISC and IISER
- Sri Venkateswara College, New Delhi
- Fergusson College,Pune
- Mount Carmel College, Bangalore
- Loyola college, Chennai
- Christ University, Bengaluru
- Indian Institute of Environment Management, Mumbai
- St. Xavier’s College, Ahmedabad
- Maharaja SayajiRao University, Vadodara
- IIT, Gandhinagar
- Gujarat Forensic Sciences University, Gandhinagar