- March 24, 2021
- Posted by: Sonali
- Category: Uncategorized
It is the study of microscopic organisms such as bacteria, fungi, viruses etc. and their interactions with humans, animals, plants and other organisms in the environment. Microbiologists research and investigate how different microorganisms affect our lives. It consists of various subfields such as virology, bacteriology, parasitology, mycology etc.
Many great things can be achieved in this field. Dr. Prema Bhatt was an eminent Indian microbiologist who did pioneering work on enteric bacterial infections and intestinal anthrax. She collaborated with international laboratories for a landmark study on juvenile diarrhoea caused by Edwardsiella tarda.
- Career Opportunities: Typical employment opportunities include clinical researcher, research scientist, lab technician, quality control, working in pharmaceuticals, health sector, food industries, breweries, distilleries, agriculture, etc.
- Paths to Pursue a career in Microbiology:
|SR NO||Stream||Graduation||After Graduation||After Post Graduation|
|Path 1||Clear Class XII with Science Stream with Biology||Pursue B.Sc. (Hons) Microbiology or B.Sc. (Hons) Molecular Biology or B.Sc. (Hons) Biological Sciences or B. Sc. (Hons) in Life Sciences for 3 years||Pursue M.Sc. Microbiology or M.Sc. In Life Sciences for 2 years||Pursue Ph.D for 3-5 years.|
|Path 2||Clear Class XII in Science Stream with Biology||Pursue B.Sc. (Hons) Microbiology or B.Sc. (Hons) Molecular Biology or B.Sc. (Hons) Biological Sciences or B.Sc. (Hons) in Life Sciences for 3 years||Pursue PG Diploma Microbiology for 1- 2 years|
- IISC and IISER
- University of Delhi, Delhi
- University of Madras, Chennai
- Bangalore University, Bangalore
- SavitribaiPhule Pune University, Pune
- University of Mumbai, Mumbai
- Maharaja SayajiRao University, Vadodara
- MG Science institute, Ahmedabad